Exciting minds with our Apprenticeship programme - Laboratory Science
Our laboratory science higher apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in our research and development or manufacturing laboratories – the heartbeat of our company.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a nationally recognised qualification- Studying for a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Chemical Science on our chemistry-based laboratory apprenticeship or a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Biological Science Technology on our biology-based apprenticeship. After completing the FdSc, most of our laboratory science apprentices go on to study for their BSc.
We also have opportunities for a Lab Scientist, In vivo Biologist.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
We offer Laboratory Science Apprenticeships in either a manufacturing or a research & development (R&D) setting. The Laboratory Science apprenticeship will provide you with the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in a number of areas. These might include:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows through to full scale manufacturing.
- Microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Operating specialist equipment to develop new products
- Drug delivery
- Synthetic and analytical chemistry
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Report writing
You’ll be excited by the thought of developing your personal skills such as reasoning, communication, problem solving, team working, relationship building and influencing
What qualifications do you need?
To be eligible for our Laboratory Science apprenticeship programme, you will need:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades 9-5 or A*-C, including English language (not literature), Science and Maths
- To have achieved or be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your top 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) not including General Studies
- An A Level grade C or above (or equivalent) in Chemistry or Biology depending on which apprenticeship you hope to study.
Where will you be based?
You will be based at a site in either Barnard Castle, Ware, Stevenage.
What our apprentices say about the Laboratory Science apprenticeship...
“It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry - I’m never treated differently in the team.”
“I’m so proud to get on to the programme. I still walk in and think wow! My biggest achievement is, while only a 3rd year Apprentice, I am already an Instrument Owner. There are only two owners across GSK, as it's a new technology."
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprentices start September 2019.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development programme
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend events such as the Outward Bound
- A nationally recognised qualification
How can you apply?
Applications are now open.
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers and also, because it’s the right thing to do.
Need help with your application?
Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01635 279808 (+44 1635 279808 outside of UK)