Our manufacturing apprenticeship is designed to create the manufacturing technicians of the future.
As a manufacturing apprentice you will develop the skills and knowledge required to operate the systems and equipment that produce our pharmaceutical products - from chemical processing to tablet and syrup manufacturing or pharmaceutical packaging.
What does a manufacturing apprenticeship involve?
During the apprenticeship you will study the theory of pharmaceutical production, first touch engineering and lean manufacturing as well as safety and risk management. You will complete a series of on-site job rotations, learning how to operate the different equipment that makes our pharmaceutical products.
You can expect to work both individually (when appropriately trained) and as part of a manufacturing team - taking responsibility for the quality, safety and accuracy of the work you undertake.
Your apprenticeship will combine on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. Your role may involve:
- Identifying areas for improvement
- Root causing problems
- Supporting manufacturing processes
- Ensuring quality, safety and accuracy
What does this apprenticeship offer?
This three-year advanced apprenticeship programme offers you the chance to study towards nationally recognised qualifications while gaining valuable, paid work experience.
As a Manufacturing apprentice you will work towards a level 3 NVQ / SVQ qualification and an HNC with the potential to go on to further study.
What qualifications do you need to apply?
To be eligible for our manufacturing apprenticeship programme, you will need:
- England: a minimum of five GCSEs or equivalent at grade C or above, including Maths, English Language (not literature) and a Science subject.
- Montrose, Scotland: Must have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of 5 Scottish National 5 at grade A-C (or 5 Standard Grades at grades 1-3) including Maths, English and a Science subject.
- Irvine, Scotland: Must have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of 5 Scottish National 5 at grade A-C (or 5 Standard Grades at grades 1-3) or equivalent including Maths, English and a Science subject. Plus one Scottish Higher grade (A-C) pass preferably in Maths or a Science.
Where you'll be based
Our Manufacturing apprenticeship runs for three years and we have opportunities at the following manufacturing sites:
- England: Barnard Castle, Ulverston
- Scotland: Irvine, Montrose
What our apprentices say about the Manufacturing apprenticeship...
”Although I sat my A-levels I decided not to go to university. My apprenticeship has allowed me to pursue a career in a field I am passionate about whilst being paid to learn.
“I enjoy having the opportunity to meet new people, and be given the responsibility to use your initiative and manage your own time accordingly. It is really interesting seeing other GSK sites and I have learnt a lot attending personal development courses.”
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprentices start in September 2018.
How to apply
We are open for Manufacturing apprentices to join us at Montrose apply here in 2018.
For our other locations you can register your interest for 2019