Exciting minds with our Apprenticeship programme - Data Science
Data Science is a broad and fast-moving field spanning maths and statistics, software engineering and communications. Data Scientists blend experience and knowledge from a wide range of fields and organisations, and continuously seek to expand their range of technical skills.
At our GSK’s R&D hub at Stevenage, Computational Biology supports drug discovery and development through the integrative analysis of internal and/or external biomedical data.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a degree (BSc) in Data Science which will take up to 36 months. Your degree will be funded by GSK and studies will be blended, combining online study with face to face lectures at Anglia Ruskin University Cambridge campus.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
At GSK our data analysis competencies are quite diverse and can include: genetics and genomics analyses (e.g. gene expression, integrative omics, functional genomics), pathways and networks analyses, disease indications findings, molecular evolution.
Also you will be;
- Analysing biomedical data, especially genomics data, to support drug discovery with a focus on target identification and validation in immunology and oncology
- Developing and delivering support and guidance materials for new and non-expert users to access and use deployed genomics and bioinformatics data and solutions
- Contribute to AI and machine learning projects that drive insight into multiple phases of the drug development pipeline from target identification and validation to later phases.
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Working in an area that results in impacting development of new medicines for important diseases of unmet medical need.
- Working on a variety of data analysis competencies and building your scientific knowledge, on a tailored development programme
- Learning how to prioritise and manage multiple projects, objectives and deadlines with high attention to detail
- Shaping your own development
- Learning new data skills and concepts
What qualifications do you need?
To be eligible for our Data Science apprenticeship programme, you will need:
- At least 5 GCSEs at grade C/grade 4 or above (or equivalent), which must include English Language and Maths.
- A level Mathematics at grade B or above. Alternatively other STEM subjects such as Physics or Computer Science may be considered
- 120 UCAS points or equivalent
Where will you be based?
You will be based at GSK’s R&D hub at Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprentices start September 2019.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development programme
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend events such as the Outward Bound
- A nationally recognised qualification
How can you apply?
Applications are now open.
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers and also, because it’s the right thing to do.
Need help with your application?
Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01635 279808 (+44 1635 279808 outside of UK)