Level 5 laboratory apprenticeship
What does a Level 5 laboratory Science apprenticeship involve?
We offer Laboratory apprenticeships in either a manufacturing or a research & development (R&D) setting. The Laboratory apprenticeship will provide you with the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in a number of areas. These might include:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows though to full scale manufacturing.
- Microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Archiving and managing samples
- Operating specialist equipment to develop new products
- Developing new technology and processes
- Drug delivery
- Synthetic and analytical chemistry
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Report writing
As well as these, you will also develop your personal skills such as reasoning, communication, problem solving, team working, relationship building and influencing.
What does this apprenticeship offer me?
- You will study for a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Chemical Science or in Applied Chemical or Biological Science Technology, via distance learning one day a week.
- Please specify whether you are more interested in a biology-based or chemistry-based apprenticeship in your application.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
The different programmes require different minimum entry qualifications which are detailed below.
- A minimum 5 GCSEs A*-C including Maths, English Language (not literature) and Science or equivalent.
- Plus: 96 UCAS points on the 2017 tariff including Chemistry and/or Biology and/or Applied Science depending on which apprenticeship you hope to study.
Where would I be based?
- Barnard Castle
What our apprentices say about the Laboratory apprenticeship...
“It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry - I’m never treated differently in the team.
“I’m so proud to get on to the programme. I still walk in and think wow! My biggest achievement is, while only a 3rd year Apprentice, I am already an Instrument Owner. There are only two owners across GSK, as it's a new technology."
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in August/September 2017.
How can I apply?
We are currently closed for 2017 applications, the application process will begin again in November 2017 for 2018 starters.
GSK is focused on creating an inclusive organisation where all employees feel engaged and know their work makes an important contribution. We aim to attract and retain the most talented people from all backgrounds and cultures regardless of actual or perceived race, colour, ethnic or national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, gender identity and/or expression, religion or belief, physical ability/ disability.