Our science education programme takes students on a journey exploring the amazingly complicated machine, the human body. Explore our free resources to discover more.
School Work Experience
Work experience at GSK for school students
We offer Work Experience programmes for GCSE and A-Level (or equivalent) students at fixed times during the year across a small number of our sites. Unfortunately, we cannot accept or host any other requests for work experience that fall outside of our programmes listed below.
|GSK Site||Programme||Dates||Duration||Application Details|
|Stevenage||A-Level||February half term||5 days||applications open Sept, close Dec|
|Ware||GCSE||11th – 13th July 2018||3 days||applications open 19th March, close 16th May|
|A-Level||February half term||4 days||applications open Sept, close Dec|
|Barnard Castle||GCSE||9th – 11th July 2018||3 days||applications open 19th March, close 16th May|
|A-Level||October half term – 22nd – 25th October||4 days||applications open Early July, close end of July|
If a programme you’d like to apply for is not open for applications, please register for our talent community and we’ll keep in touch.
What will I learn?
During the programme, you will get a real insight into GSK, the site, our various functions and the people who make up our business and you'll learn about the importance of the work we do. Depending on the programme, you might also:
- Learn more about careers across GSK and the healthcare/pharmaceutical industry
- Meet and speak to a range of people from a variety of functions and businesses including our Apprentices and Graduates
- Take part in simulated activities to discover how we get a molecule to market
- Discover more about GSK through talks from industry experts and tours around the site
- Develop your employability skills by taking part in presentations and activities
- Shadow one of our colleagues and gain insight to their departments undertaking hands on activities within the lab (Stevenage only)
Please note, due to the nature of our business, it is not possible to carry out ‘real’ work as part of our Work Experience. Our programmes consist of simulated activities, projects and presentations to provide an overview and insight of what it’s like to work at GSK.
By completing our Work Experience programme, you will also have the opportunity to earn and achieve an Industrial Cadet Award, either bronze, silver or gold depending on the programme. This is a nationally recognised award and something you can add to your CV - you can read more about the programme and awards here: http://www.industrialcadets.org.uk/
Watch our work experience video to find out more about our programme. This was filmed in February 2015 where 150 school students from 80 schools attended half-term work experience placements across GSK sites.
How do I apply for Work Experience?
We welcome applications from students who are keen to find to find out more about working at GSK and particularly have a real interest in pursuing a STEM career.
We prioritise applications from students local to the site but we do consider all applications. Please note it is the student’s responsibility to get to/from their placement safely and responsibly and we do not offer reimbursement for travel, accommodation or meals occurred as part of the programme.
Please ensure, before you apply, that you check the dates of our programmes align with your school’s half term dates, especially for non-local students applying.
To apply for our Work Experience, you need to use our online application form as we don’t accept CVs for any of our programmes.
Join our talent community here and select the ‘school student work experience’ option from the ‘what you want to hear about?’ list – we’ll then let you know when applications are open and also keep in touch with news and updates on GSK and careers.
- It’s a good idea to write your answers in a word document first then copy them into the online form – that way you won’t lose your work and you’ll have it to refer to
- We are looking for students who have a genuine interest in GSK and the work we do – make sure you tell us what interests you about us and the work we do
- Don’t forget we need a teacher reference as part of your application and we can’t consider your application until we have this - more details are provided on the application form
- Please double check the contact details you enter – especially your email address. If you are successful and we are unable to reach you, we may have to offer your place on the programme to another applicant
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide individual feedback on your application if you aren’t successful due to the volume of applications we receive.
For students at university in the UK wanting to find out more about work experience, we have one year Industrial Placements, or Summer Placements for penultimate year students - you can find out more and apply online here. We also run several ‘GSK Revealed’ events for 1st/2nd year students – find out more here.
If you have already graduated or have a Masters or PhD, we don’t offer any Work Experience programmes, but please take a look at our website to find out more about our programmes for Graduates and Postgraduates.