Patient Advocacy Group funding
In response to unsolicited requests from patient advocacy groups, we provide grants and donations to help meet patient need and where there is mutual scientific interest.
Applications are reviewed on a monthly basis and projects or groups are supported according to GSK criteria.
We are no longer funding applications in 2017 but will accept applications again from January 2018.
Criteria for grants and donations
The UK Pharma Grants and Donations Committee uses the following criteria when assessing applications from patient advocacy groups for grants and donations:
1. The grant or donation must be used for an activity with a valid and legitimate purpose that enhances patient care, or benefits the NHS and maintains patient care. Programmes currently within scope for approval include:
- Patient Advocacy Group initiated Programmes and Core Funding
- Grants to organisations that support healthcare professionals and related staff to attend Scientific Congresses with decision making independent of GSK
- Public policy and advocacy programs and initiatives, including legal reform and government relations
2. The activity must be in a GSK disease area of strategic priority:
- Classic brands
3. Funding must be proportional to the activity and not excessive.
4. Applications must be from a legitimate, reputable organisation that has the capability and licences to conduct the activity.
5. The grant must be made in a manner that does not affect the independence of the recipient.
6. A grant will only extend beyond one year under exceptional circumstances.
7. A grant will not be given to an individual or be used for personal use.
8. A grant cannot provide more than 25% of total funding received by a single recipient through GSK grants, except for rare disease or start-up patient groups, which can receive up to 50% of the total funding. Any exception requires General Manager, Medical Director and Compliance Officer approval and shall not exceed 50% in any case.
Independent Medical Education (IME) applications need to follow a separate process.
How to apply
We are no longer funding applications in 2017 but will accept applications again from January 2018. If your organisation and proposal meet the criteria, you can apply for a grant or donation by completing the application form and sending it with a covering letter to:
Medical Executive, Associate Medical Director Team
GlaxoSmithKline UK Ltd
Stockley Park West