Health First Ashton, Leigh and Wigan and GlaxoSmithKline
Joint Working Agreement Executive Summary
Health First Ashton, Leigh and Wigan (the provider arm of Atherleigh Consortium and Patient Focus Consortium) and GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) are working together to improve the quality of life of patients within their practices who suffer with breathlessness caused by Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), asthma or heart failure.
This project has been formulated in line with best practice recommendations from the ABPI, and is in accordance with the ‘ABPI Guidance Notes on Joint Working Between Pharmaceutical Companies and the NHS’ published March 2009.
Both parties have committed resources to support this project, which will run from August 2010 to October 2011.
The objective of this Joint Working project is to improve quality and productivity in the management of patients who suffer from breathlessness (caused by COPD, heart failure and asthma) and will work across Health First ALW practices.
It is designed to support:
- Correct diagnosis of breathlessness
- A proactive approach to the management of breathlessness within primary care, which will result in healthcare delivered closer to home.
- Increased patient review and appropriate use of medications in line with national guidelines
- A reduced need for unscheduled care.
- Improved quality and appropriateness of referrals to specialist care
- Improved symptom control, outcomes and quality of life and for breathless patients.
- Equity of service delivery across all practices within the provider body.
- The raised profile of breathlessness throughout the provider body.
For further information please contact:
GSK UK Customer Contact Centre: +44 (0)800 221 441
UK/PPM/0040b/10(1) Archived 2015.