St Helens and NHS Halton (StHealth) and GSK
Joint Working Executive Summary
StHealth Practice Based Commissioning Group (PBC) and GSK working jointly to improve COPD healthcare in St Helens. Its purpose is to ensure a proactive approach to the management of patients with COPD within the PBC. This project will run from May 2009 until May 2011.
It is designed to support:
- The promotion of prevention and earlier identification of patients with COPD.
- Correct diagnosis of COPD.
- Prevention of COPD exacerbations through increased patient review and appropriate use of medications in line with NICE COPD Guideline 2010.
- Improving the quality of COPD referrals to secondary care.
- Equity of service delivery across all practices in the Practice Base Commissioning group.
It is anticipated through up-skilling healthcare professions, supporting the identification of and improved management of patients with COPD, this project may help achieve the following:
- Earlier appropriate diagnosis.
- Reduced exacerbations of COPD and improved quality of life.
- Localised care closer to home.
- Equity of care across StHealth PBC.
- Improved access to specialised Respiratory nurses.
- Provide patients with a better understanding of the need to manage their condition.
- Improve the patient’s experience of the health system and potentially improve patient outcomes.
For further information please contact:
GSK UK Customer Contact Centre: +44 (0)800 221 441
UK/MA/0020/13(1) Archived 2015.