Exciting minds with our Apprenticeship programme - Engineering
Engineers at GSK are responsible for designing, maintaining and improving our leading-edge manufacturing facilities that deliver life-saving treatments.
Our multi-skilled engineering apprenticeship programme is designed to create the technicians and engineers of the future. As an engineering apprentice, you will have the opportunity to develop mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, control & automation skills. Search and apply for our Engineering Apprenticeship programmes HERE.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards nationally recognised qualifications. We consider your entry qualifications and will support the next level of academic study (which may be HNC or above). If you show the qualities, we are looking for you may be offered the opportunity to go on to study for an HND or degree in engineering.
Working with both your manager and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
We offer Engineering apprenticeships in a manufacturing setting. Our Engineering apprenticeship lasts up to four years. In the first year, you’ll spend most of your time at college, studying theory elements of the apprenticeship and gaining some practical hands-on experience. In subsequent years, you’ll continue one day a week at college while learning new skills as part of an engineering team.
Your apprenticeship will combine on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. You will:
- Develop mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and automation skills
- Learn how to maintain production equipment
- Carry out routine maintenance
- Fault find, diagnose and resolve breakdowns
- Help design, install and test new equipment
What qualifications do you need?
To be eligible for our Engineering apprenticeship programme, you will need:
- To have achieved/predicted to achieve a minimum of five GCSEs or equivalent at grade 5-9 (C or above), including Maths and a Science. You must have/be predicted English Language (not literature) at grade 4 or above
- Must have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of five Scottish National 5s at grade A-C (or five standard grades at grades 1-3). Must include Maths at a B or above and a Science subject and English at C or above
For a higher apprenticeship you will also need a BTEC 3 in Engineering or A levels in Maths and/or Physics and/or Engineering.
We consider your entry qualifications and will support the next level of academic study which may be HNC or above.
Where will you be based?
You will be based at one of our manufacturing sites in Barnard Castle, Ulverston, Ware, Maidenhead, Irvine or Montrose.
When you apply; you will choose the site you want to apply to.
What our apprentices say about the Engineering apprenticeship...
“I have really enjoyed working in all different areas on the site learning my chosen trade from qualified engineers - this has given me the best training I could have asked for!”
“The most enjoyable part so far was probably the personal development week - it was great to do activities I never normally would and to also be around other apprentices in similar situations to me and compare all our thoughts and opinions on the apprenticeship programme.”
“I have enjoyed the challenge of managing my work load to ensure I keep on top of the college assignments as well as my practical learning. It has been a great opportunity to prove myself.”
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprentices start in September.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development programme
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend annual Apprentice development events)
- Access to employee health and well-being programmes
- A fully sponsored nationally recognised qualification
How can you apply?
Search and apply for our Engineering Apprenticeship programmes HERE.
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers and also, because it’s the right thing to do.
Need help with your application?
Please contact us at UK.email@example.com