Exciting minds with our Apprenticeship programme – Laboratory Science (Histology)
Our laboratory science histology apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in research and development – the heartbeat of our company.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
This apprenticeship provides you with a unique opportunity to be part of our In vivo / In vitro Translation (IVIVT) team as a Histology apprentice.
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a nationally recognised qualification - a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Applied bioscience technology.
Working with both your manager and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
- Develop skills involved in necropsy sampling and histology sample processing,
- Process samples into paraffin wax blocks or frozen blocks,
- Learn how to cut thin sections of tissues embedded in paraffin wax or from frozen blocks of tissue
- Learn about using histological stains - what the different stains are used for and why
- Use microscopes and digital whole slide scanners
- Learn about histology image analysis
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Building your scientific knowledge
- Learning how to prioritise and manage multiple projects, objectives and deadlines
- Shaping your own development and choosing courses and opportunities in line with your needs and interests
- Learning new skills and concepts
What qualifications do I need?
To be eligible for this apprenticeship, you will need:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades 9-5 (A*-C) including English Language (not Literature), Science and Maths
- To have achieved or be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your top 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) not including General Studies
- A Level Biology at grade C or above
Where will I be based?
You will be based at our R&D site in Ware.
What our apprentices say about the Laboratory Science apprenticeship...
“It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry - I’m never treated differently in the team.”
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in September.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend annual Apprentice development events)
- Access to employee health and well-being programmes
- A fully sponsored nationally recognised qualification
How can you apply?
Applications now closed.
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers and also, because it’s the right thing to do.
Need help with your application?
Please contact us at UK.email@example.com