Exciting minds with our Apprenticeship programme - Manufacturing Science
As a manufacturing science apprentice, you will develop skills and knowledge in GSK pharmaceutical &/or consumer healthcare processes and products. You will learn how our products are made to be able to confidently support routine production, new product introduction (NPI) & validation as well as process improvement work. Depending on your preferences, strengths and ambition, this holistic apprenticeship could lead in many career directions including manufacturing or NPI technologist, operations management and operational quality.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a nationally recognised qualification – a foundation degree (FdSc) in Chemical Science - while gaining valuable, paid work experience. There is the potential for the 3 year apprenticeship to be extended to 5 years to incorporate a full Bachelor’s degree.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
You will work across the site (including Pilot Plant in Ware) combining on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. Your role will involve:
- Supporting the design, introduction, validation and commissioning of new process equipment and products
- Working as part of a team of technical scientists and manufacturing technicians
- Supporting complex manufacturing processes - ensuring quality, safety and accuracy
- Analysing process data
- Owning and delivering improvement and optimisation projects
You’ll be excited by the thought of working collaboratively with colleagues from technical, laboratory, validation, engineering, logistics and planning.
What qualifications do you need?
To be eligible for our manufacturing science apprenticeship programme, you will need:
- To have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent, four of which should be at grade 5 (A*-C) or higher and including Maths and Science and grade 4 (C) or higher for English Language (not literature).
- To have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from top 3 A Levels including Chemistry or Applied Science at C or above.
N.B. BTEC in Applied Science is acceptable as long as it meets the UCAS requirement.
Where will you be based?
At our Maidenhead, Barnard Castle and Ware manufacturing sites
What our apprentices say about the Manufacturing Scientist apprenticeship...
“It’s a great feeling knowing that the work you’re doing is being used to improve GSK technologies and supporting clinical trials. In my second year, I am already working with other teams in developing our processes to be even better than last year.”
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprentices start September 2019.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- A performance and development programme
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend events such as the Outward Bound
- A nationally recognised qualification
How can you apply?
Applications are now closed.
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers and also, because it’s the right thing to do.
Need help with your application?
Please contact us at: email@example.com or call 01635 279808 (+44 1635 279808 outside of UK)