Exciting minds with our Apprenticeship programme – Data Scientist
Do you have a passion for maths? Our Data Scientist apprenticeship could be for you! Data Science is a broad and fast-moving field spanning maths and statistics, software engineering and communications. Data Scientists blend experience and knowledge from a wide range of fields and organisations, and continuously seek to expand their range of technical skills.
As a Data Scientist apprentice, you will be part of one of our Manufacturing, Research and Development (R&D) or Commercial teams where you will play a key role in organising, studying and drawing insights and recommendations from our data.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a degree (BSc) in Data Science funded by GSK and studies will be blended - combining online study with face to face lectures at university.
Working with both your manager and programme manager, we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
Research and Development
At our R&D hub at Stevenage, our Data Scientist apprentices support drug discovery and development through the integrative analysis of internal and/or external biomedical data.
At GSK our data analysis competencies are quite diverse and can include: genetics and genomics analyses (e.g. gene expression, integrative omics, functional genomics), pathways and networks analyses, disease indications findings, molecular evolution.
You will be:
- Analysing biomedical data, especially genomics data, to support drug discovery with a focus on target identification and validation in immunology and oncology
- Developing and delivering support and guidance materials for new and non-expert users to access and use deployed genomics and bioinformatics data and solutions
- Contribute to AI and machine learning projects that drive insight into multiple phases of the drug development pipeline from target identification and validation to later phases
- Working in an area that results in impacting development of new medicines for important diseases of unmet medical need
- Working on a variety of data analysis competencies and building your scientific knowledge, on a tailored development programme
- Learning how to prioritise and manage multiple projects, objectives and deadlines with high attention to detail
- Learning new data skills and concepts
At our manufacturing site at either Barnard Castle or Ware, you will develop skills that are key to maximising the quality and efficiency of pharmaceutical processes. We’ve been investing millions of pounds in state-of-the-art manufacturing equipment. The vast amounts of data these machines are capable of collecting needs organising, studying and insights drawn and recommendations made to enable us to improve our manufacturing performance. And our Data Scientist apprentice has a key role to play in this!
You will work across the site combining on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. Your role will involve:
- Working across a variety of projects, providing technical data solutions to a range of issues
- Learning about and using a range of analytical tools to undertake different types of analyses
- Collecting managing, cleansing, abstracting and aggregating data
- Conducting a range of analytical studies on that data
- Developing a good understanding of data structures and database systems
You’ll be excited by the thought of working collaboratively with colleagues from manufacturing, technical, laboratory, validation, engineering, logistics and planning – and using your expertise in maths to help our patients and consumer do more, feel better and live longer!
Based in our Global head office in Brentford, you will learn how to deliver impactful analytical insights and recommendations to enhance the performance of our UK sales and marketing organisation. You will gain skills in data management, machine learning and statistics, whilst also developing your commercial business acumen.
As a Data Scientist apprentice, you will work with colleagues from around the business on projects ranging from the strategic to the tactical across a wide variety of brands and disease areas. You will learn how to:
- Manage stakeholders and their expectations
- Extract, combine and manipulate data
- Use a range of machine learning and statistical analytical tools and techniques to gain insight into our data
- Influence the decisions taken by senior managers through robust and well interpreted analyses
- Learn effective techniques for data visualisation & storytelling
- Work with a diverse range of internal customers, peers, and off-shore colleagues
- Manage your time and prioritise a mix of activities
The UK commercial organisation is on a journey to becoming truly data-driven and you could be at the heart of this transformation.
What qualifications do you need?
To be eligible for our Data Scientist apprenticeship you will need:
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent grade 9-5 (A*-C) including Maths and English Language (not Literature).
- Must have/be predicted 104 UCAS points from your top 3 A levels
- Must have A level Maths at grade B (or above) alternatively A level Computer Science at grade B (or above) plus Maths GCSE at grade 7-9
Where will I be based?
You will be based at our manufacturing site in Ware, our R&D site in Stevenage, or our UK headquarters in Brentford.
When you apply you will choose the site you want to apply to.
What our apprentices say about the Data Scientist apprenticeship...
“I love that my work supports not only improvements to GSK processes but also clinical trials. I have been here less than a year and I am already working with other teams, providing data and insights that help our processes to be even better”
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in September.
- A competitive base salary
- An annual bonus
- Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
- A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
- Access to employee health and well being programmes
- Training and Development (including opportunities to attend annual Apprentice development events)
- A fully sponsored degree
How can you apply?
Applications currently open for Ware.
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers, and also because it’s the right thing to do.
Need help with your application?
Please contact us at UK.email@example.com